Homemade beauty products that actually work
Pampering yourself doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Here, we’ve put together some unbelievably simple (and affordable) recipes for the perfect homemade beauty kit.
Beauty treatments are often considered a luxury as they can come with hefty price tags. However, beauty brands are some of the worst culprits for massively marking up their products.
By making your own natural beauty treatments at home, you can pamper yourself with lovely skin and hair products, while keeping well within your student budget.
We’ve got some of the simplest homemade beauty product recipes, covering everything you need for the ultimate home beauty kit. Prepare for a healthy body, chilled mind, and a happier bank.
Homemade skincare products
Here are the best DIY beauty treatments for your skin that you can make at home:
1. Sugary minty lip scrubIngredientsCosts: £0.05* | Time taken: 5 minutes
½ teaspoon olive oil (£0.02) – or jojoba oil if you have it
1 teaspoon caster sugar (£0.01)
1 or 2 drops of peppermint extract (£0.02).Method
Mix these ingredients together and rub onto the lips, massaging for a few minutes.
Lick off the lip scrub and enjoy the peppermint taste and feeling of super-smooth lips.
Almond and orange body scrub
Costs: £1.96* | Time took: 10 minutes
- A handful of almonds (£0.38)
- Peel 1 orange (£0.30)
- 200ml olive oil (£1.28) or rapeseed oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a blender.
- Apply to the body and massage gently into the skin.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Warning: Avoid this scrub if you suffer from body acne.
- Strawberry and honey face maskIngredientsCosts: £0.28* | Time took: 15 minutes
- 4 medium-sized strawberries (£0.27)
- 1 teaspoon honey (£0.01).Method
- Mash the strawberries up using a fork and add the tablespoon of honey.
- Massage into a clean and wet face, rubbing in a circular motion.
- Leave for 10–15 minutes, then remove using a warm, damp cloth. For best results, use it every day for a week.
Avocado and pineapple face mask
Costs: £0.56* | Time taken: 20 minutes
- ½ ripe avocado (£0.35)
- 3 small chunks of fresh pineapple (£0.05)
- ¼ lime (£0.04)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (£0.10)
- ½ teaspoon honey (£0.01)
- ½ teaspoon raw cider vinegar (dilute with water if you have sensitive skin) (£0.01).
Tomato and cucumber toner
Costs: £0.58* | Time taken: 8 minutes
- 1 cucumber (£0.45)
- 1 tomato (£0.13).
- Blend your (chopped) veggies in a food processor until smooth.
- Pat the mixture onto your face using a cotton pad or your fingers. Leave on for 5 minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
This mixture will keep for four days in the fridge. For oily or acne-prone skin, use it every day for the best results.
Extra natural skincare tips
As well as the homemade beauty products and treatments above, here are some extra tips to improve your skincare routine:
- Using body scrubs two to three times a week is enough to keep your body well exfoliated.
- All of these recipes can be made in batches and kept in the fridge in an airtight container. If you can, add a date with a sticky label and make sure you use them within three to four days.
- Know your skin! Unless otherwise stated, these recipes are suitable for all skin/hair types, but if you do have sensitive skin, be gentle when using the scrubs and abrasive ingredients.